Tuesday, May 07, 2013

State of candy emergency

It's Teacher Appreciation Week! Hooray! For those of you who don't have kids, let me explain what this means. On Sunday night all across the nation, weary parents finally get around to reading their e-mails from the weekend. On this particular Sunday, the e-mail reveals that each day during the upcoming week, little Mary Jane and Baby Ruth have a special assignment to make their teacher feel appreciated. For example, on Monday, each child should bring in a cardboard flower decorated with paint, glue, glitter and so-forth and write why they love their teacher on it. On Tuesday, they should write a poem extolling the virtues of their classroom, and so on and so forth. Tomorrow, the Sugar Baby is supposed to bring in a sweet treat for his teacher. No problem for me, right?
Um. We have a problem. My first idea was to bake cookies, but I realized too late that I didn't have any butter. (I'm already in my pajamas so I'm not going out.) My second thought was the frozen cookie dough I'd made a few weeks ago. Oh, but I gave that to my sister. So it was time to raid the candy stash. Surely the writer of a candy blog, a self-admitted sugar addict, would have something special on hand to pass off, right? This is all I could find:
A package of leftover Peeps and a single Dum Dum.What am I going to do? In times of personal emergency, I know I can always resort to a bag of chocolate chips, but somehow I don't think she'd get the wry wit behind that. I think I might just have to write her an I.O.U. 

No comments: