Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Candy Yum Yum Book Nook: Read All About It

So check this out. The Baroness gave this to the Sugar Baby for his birthday.
What a tease, huh? It's a cookbook but it looks like one giant block of chocolate. My friend came over the other day and saw it on the coffee table. She was like, "Hell, yeah!" Needless to say, she was disappointed to discover recipes instead of chocolate. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but I'll be sure to report back when I do.Look at this gorgeous magnum opus. This book is big enough to be a doorstop, however I'm happy to say that it's being used for reading, not propping. (In fact, I just got chocolate on the cover while I was writing this. Dang!) If you have any interest at all in food styling, get thee to Amazon right now. I find food styling fascinating, although I'd be terrible at it. It takes a special kind of Type-A perfectionist to be a stylist. I worked with one dude once who was supposedly very in-demand, however he took my recipe (which could've been absolutely stunning appearance-wise) and turned it into a wonky-looking lame dessert. I still harbor ill feelings toward him. But I digress...
I skipped forward in the book a bit to the section entitled, "Chocolate: The Problem Child for the Food Stylist." "This is a food that illustrates chemistry in action," writes the author Delores Custer. "It blooms, seizes, and melts at different temperatures."
Chemistry in action. I like that. Needless to say, while I find food styling captivating, I won't be doing it anytime soon. But I do like reading about it.

No comments: