Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Breaking News! CORRECTION!


Oops, my bad. A few posts ago I wrote a review of the very excellent book "The Candymakers." The first thing I pointed out was that "confectionery" was spelled "confectionary," which I believed to be wrong. Well, the folks at Little, Brown (the publisher) have set me straight. Yes, the spelling with "e" may be more common these days, but "a" is an acceptable, traditional spelling according to Random House Dictionary, among others.
This information came in a kind of round-about way. My Necco Door Neighbor Big Tony (author of the Secrets of Droon series and more), knows Wendy Mass, the author of "The Candymakers." He set me up with an interview with her so I could learn more about her research process for the book. In the meantime, she read the original review here, and naturally freaked about the "e" vs. "a" conundrum. Happily, it worked out for her. I, on the other hand, willingly take a demerit for not doing my homework.
Wendy and I talked today and she revealed how she came upon her extensive knowledge of candy making. Stay tuned. You won't want to miss it. In the meantime, get yourself a copy of the book. You (and your kids) will love it.

No comments: