Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Candy in the News

My friend Kristina got engaged last week in Italy! Hooray! What does this have to do with candy? Well, she was in town visiting family this weekend, so I went over to check out the rock offer her my best wishes. After 500 vacation photos and a whole lotta wine, I had to visit the restroom. It was there that I found the most recent issue of "Highlights" magazine, which had a fun article called "Candy Secrets." I had enough presence of mind to take a picture of the magazine and the bar of Schogetten she brought me back, but failed to get a picture of the rock. Go figure. (Why I was reading Highlights is a whole 'nother question. It was either that or an American Girl catalog.)
In this month's Parents, there is a blurb on "Tricks with Leftover Treats." They show how to make a Skittles rainbow by dissolving the candies and then pouring the colored liquid in layers. It's just one of many fun experiments at Loralee Leavitt's website, candyexperiments.com.
And then there's this great article in The New York Times about Dr. Samira Kawash, a.k.a. Candy Professor, intriguingly titled, "Is Candy Evil or Just Misunderstood?"
There will probably be more sweet articles over the next few days (perhaps one by your truly! Hint, hint ...) so keep an eye out. It's one of the few times of the year that candy doesn't get a bad rap.

No comments: