Tuesday, September 16, 2003

I'm back from Montreal, land of chocolatey goodness!
On our first night, Genevieve and I bought a nice selection of candy bars from a little bodega. What was funny was that the Middle Eastern guy behind the counter knew exactly what we were up to. He said, "I'll tell you which ones you can't get in the U.S." Ha! Like I needed his help. Anyhow, without further ado, I give you the CANADA CANDY COLLECTION:

Aero Dark: This was an Aero bar (which used to be sold in the U.S. as "Wispa"). It's pure chocolate but the inside is whipped so there's all these little air bubbles. This was dark as opposed to the traditional milk. It was fine. Nothing to write home about. But I guess something to write in my blog about.

Wunderbar: A very strange combination. It was chocolate-covered peanut butter and caramel, yet there were tiny pieces of peanuts AND crunchies in it. I wasn't sure of it at first, but I ended up really liking it. The only problem was, because it was soft, whenever you bit into it, you couldn't see the inside texture of the candy bar. I like to see as well as taste. Mr. Peter and Genevieve seemed to like this one.

Mirage: Like the Aero, filled with air. On the package it was described as "bubbly milk chocolate." Couldn't resist that. It was good.

Coffee Crunch: By far, everyone's favorite. The inside was a wafer with coffee-flavored cream, covered with chocolate. Very light, very crunchy, coffee crazy! Genevieve is going to ask Melissa to bring us back some more when she goes to Toronto this week.

Mr. Big: We had high hopes for this one. Genevieve bought one especially for Melissa. She and Mr. Peter said it wasn't very good. I still haven't tried mine yet. We figure a name like Mr. Big is akin to a bald, middle-aged man driving a Porsche.

Krispy Krunch: I'm pretty sure that's the name of it. It appeared to be somewhat like a Butterfinger, although Mr. Peter said it was more peanutty than that. I believe this is the candy bar Pete shoved in his mouth before Gen could get a bite. He then graciously offered her ABC candy. What a gentleman.

There are more in my fridge to sample so I'll update as I go along. I do regret, though, that I forgot to buy some Kindereggs--chocolate eggs with really cool toy surprises inside. You can't buy them in the U.S. cuz the cool toy is a choking hazard. How stupid.

No comments: