Saturday, May 19, 2007

Differences in Reese's: A Scientific Review





Welcome to the Candy Yum Yum! sensory lab where today we'll be comparing "Fresh From the Factory" Reese's to fresh from the vending machine Reese's.

As I noted in a previous post, Hershey's is offering some of their products fresh from the factory to your door in less than 96 hours. Yesterday I got a tub of Reese's. My first inclination was to just dive into it and have a PB & chocolate love fest. But I gathered my wits and set up this highly scientific test. Check it out:

Purpose: To determine if there is a difference between "Factory Fresh" Reese's (FFR) and a Reese's candy bar of unknown shelf-life that was procured from a vending machine (R).

Methods: Brian cut up three sets of Reese's. Each set had one piece of FFR and one piece of R. Using traditional sensory methods (appearance, smell, taste), the tester tried to determine which piece was which.

Results: 1oo percent accuracy. The tester was able to discern the FFR from the R.

Conclusions: We heartily recommend the Factory Fresh Reese's for candy lovers.


So how was I able to tell the difference? The peanut butter in the FFR was softer, not as crumbly and had a fresher peanut taste (although the aroma was more earthy than the R, which had a definite peanut aroma.) The chocolate had a nice snap to it, especially around the edges. This is not to say that I wouldn't eat a non-FFR, because frankly, almost any Reese's is a good thing. But, the FFR is just a little tastier, a little more special. A little more YUM.


Can I just say, I love sensory evaluation? In my next life, I want to be a food scientist. Fun stuff. You should try a test for yourself. Invite some friends over. Pop open the wine. Eat some candy!

As a sidenote, I really like this as a gift for candy lovers. The jar sells for $20-- great price!-- and it's just a fun thing to give.

No comments: