Monday, May 14, 2007

What the devil is that?


"Holy canoli!" I can hear you say. "Why is there a picture of beer on Candy Yum Yum!?" Believe it or not, there is a candy reference to this delicious GERMAN beer that Sue, my kick-ass, firefighter, garden guru friend and her husband Neil brought over this weekend.
The beer is called Georg Schneider's Wiesen Edel-Weisse and it's certified organic. When I first tasted it, I thought there was something very interesting about it, but I didn't have my tasting hat on. (Translation: it was more about catching a good buzz than savoring the delicate qualities of this fine brew.)
However, these lovely friends left a bottle for me to savor the next day and I was able to give it my full attention. I took a sip. "There's something very candy-like about this," I said. Another sip. Almost something ... minty? Sip. Ah ha! There is was. The subtle delicious taste of root beer barrels. It's hard to imagine, but this beer has a very delicious wintergreen (a.k.a. root beer) note to it that brings back memories of those childhood favorite candies. This is good stuff. If you can find it, I'd suggest giving it a try!

No comments: