Thursday, September 10, 2009

The 411 on Candy Corn

The Mommy Candy Corn and the Baby Candy Corn were both made in the U.S.
The other day I was zipping through the grocery store, just trying to grab a few things, when I saw a display of Disney-branded fruit crisps. I looked at the ingredients: dried apples and dried pineapple. Hooray! I was excited; something new for the Sugar Baby to try that is pure fruit but in a fun Mickey Mouse bag.
I bought two.
Only after he was scarfing the bag of apple crisps when I noticed on the back: Product Made in China.
GAH!
Those of you who are regular readers know my feelings about food made in China. (More info here.) I don't particularly care to have my child eat something that comes from a country where there are no food regulations. Anyhow, the reason I'm saying this is because I further investigated a reader's question about Halloween candy. To be precise, she wanted to know if there is candy corn made in the U.S.
Happily, the answer is yes. The most common brand, however, (Brach's) is made in Mexico. (Same with their Melocremes). Mayfair candy corn and Mellowcreme Harvest Mix (pumpkins, corns, skull-and-crossbones and cats) is made in Pakistan.

But if you're jonesing for some Made-in-the-USA candy corn, check out these brands:

Jelly Belly: they have standard candy corn, as well as giant-sized candy corn in vanilla, chocolate and cinnamon. They also have a Fall Festival Mix of mellocremes: lemon corn cobs, orange pumpkins, maple walnuts (which I think look more like brains), and Giant Corn. These are pricier than the big bags of candy corn you see all over the place at Halloween, but you can usually find them cheaper at places like Marshall's and Home Goods.

Zachary Confections: they make candy corn and mellocreme pumpkins. (Note: they sell their products at Christmas Tree Shops). It's also interesting to note that Zachary makes the Target brand candy corn:
see this article.

This is hardly a comprehensive list, but hopefully it will be a good starting point for all you candy corn lovers out there!

2 comments:

Pam Walter said...

Candy Corn is my very favorite! Am definitely going to look for the larger size version. http://blog.sweetservices.com/sweetscandyblog/

Anonymous said...

I will definitely buy the MADE IN USA candy corn. I am very bummed by Brach's moving factories to Mexico for cheaper labor. I emailed them regarding this 5 yrs. ago. they answered my email, but they wouldn't tell me about how the workers are paid....or even why they went there, when we do still have a U.S. of A. so too sad.