Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Guinness Chocolate Truffle Bar: A Boozy Bomb

There's no denying it, folks. Like it or not, Facebook (and other social media sites) have changed the way we live. There's no going back now. No anonymity, no wondering about ex-loves or former co-workers. It's all out there for the grabbing.
I've found that, since joining Facebook, my "family" has suddenly got a lot bigger. I've "met" cousins and aunts and uncles that I never knew I had. Like Mr. Goodbar's cousin, Renee. I'm still not exactly sure how they're related, but they are, and she has become a loyal Yumster, which warms my heart.
Last week she sent me this:A Guinness Milk Chocolate Truffle bar.
I have a soft spot in my heart for Guinness, after going on a junket to Ireland where I stayed out until 5 a.m. drinking with the brewmaster himself. (The truth of the matter is, I was ready to crawl into bed at about 11 p.m. but had no idea where the hotel was and I couldn't get a taxi because I didn't have any Euros on me at all. So I stayed out with the rest of the journos in the group and watched an Ireland sunrise through Guinness-clouded eyes.)
In any case, I was quite intrigued by this chocolate bar, especially since Sweet Renee said that her friend said it was the best chocolate she'd ever had.
The bar got a little squashed in transit, but no matter. The ingredients are interesting: milk chocolate 59% (the milk chocolate containing 32% cocoa solids minimum and 20% milk solids minimum); plain chocolate (58% cocoa solids minimum); invert sugar syrup; sweetened condensed milk; alcohol; white chocolate; Guinness beer (0.2%) and flavourings.
So yes, there really is Guinness in there.
How did it taste?
Um.
Not so good.
Pretty gross, actually. The alcohol taste was overwhelming. Not the Guinness flavor, but just the boozy burn. I wanted to like it, I really did.
I left it out for Mr. Goodbar to try and he seemed visibly angry at it. "This is terrible!" he said, as if the bar was mocking him.
It's a sad tale, folks. A fun souvenir, perhaps, but definitely not a candy of choice. But hey, at least I've got a new cousin to chat with. And if you're looking for some Guinness tastiness, just grab a pint of the real thing. Now that's some yummy stuff!

No comments: