Thursday, April 08, 2010

Argh! Here Be Treasure, Matey!


Memaw sent the Sugar Baby a big box o' Easter fun (as Memaws are known to do) and included a few fun things for me as well, including a bag of DeMet's Treasures Dark Chocolate Caramels.
My first reaction to seeing the package was, "Wait a minute. Isn't there another candy called Treasures?" My second thought was, "DeMets? Who the heck is DeMets?"
As it turns out, DeMets is a candy company that is located about 20 miles from my house. Go figure. They are probably best known for Turtles in the red striped boxes and Flipz, the chocolate-covered pretzels. As for the Treasures, yes, these used to be Nestle's. Apparently there was a series of buyouts and such, so now the candies bear the DeMet's name with the same "Treasures" logo that Nestle used.
Since I didn't recognize the name right off, I was highly skeptical of these. So much so that I almost considered not eating them. But then I noticed one day that the bag was open (ahem) so I tried one.
Wow! Let me just say ... these are fantastic. The chocolate is smooth with just enough bitterness to contrast with the soft, sweet caramel. If you're a Caramello lover, you will flip over these.
I don't know what the story is behind these. Have they just been released? Or have they been around for a while and I just never noticed them? Whatever the case, I think I see a revolution coming on. The DeMet's website said they're opening a larger facility soon, and I think that's good, because these Treasures just might be the next big thing.

No comments: