Sunday, August 01, 2010

Review Re-Do: Nestle Crunch Crisp

I've been inspired by my previous post, wherein I couldn't remember if I had reviewed the Trader Joe's Raisin and Pecan bar before and decided not to check my archives before tasting it again. I thought it would be kind of fun to actually go back and re-sample some candy bars that I know I've reviewed in the past, but can't quite remember what I thought of them.
That brings us to the Nestle Crunch Crisp. A very fresh Nestle Crunch is one of my top favorite candy bars, so I had high hopes for the Crunch Crisp. I bought a pack of snack-sized bars, since they were on sale this week and my house has been stripped clean of all chocolate.
The first thing I noticed was the description on the wrapper: "Baked Wafers, Crisped Rice & Chocolate Creme." (The bold text is theirs, not mine.) Are they hoping we feel like this is a healthy choice because the wafers are baked? As opposed to what? Fried?
Now like I said, I haven't looked back at my original review, but I have to tell you, I found these terribly disappointing. Yes, they were crunchy, but they were overly sweet and had a funky chemical-chocolate taste to them. I wouldn't buy these again.
Now comes the fun part. I just looked back at my original review here. OMG. I loved them! And I even compared them to the now-extinct Bar None. What was I thinking?! This is SO not like a Bar None. I hang my head in shame. Although there are two factors to take into consideration: 1) My first sample was had after several glasses of champagne, which no doubt made my taste buds all wacky and 2) The current samples have been sitting in my refrigerator, so that absolutely does alter the taste a bit.
I'm not sure how I feel about this now. Can I be trusted? Will you ever listen to anything I say ever again? I didn't expect such an existential crisis this evening. I think I need to go cleanse my palate with Saltines now. We'll talk again tomorrow after I sleep on this.

1 comment:

Ice Cube Queen said...

Hah! You're just trying to get us all to run out and buy the Nestle Crunch Crisp to see what we think, aren't you!?