Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Christmas Idea #1: See's Candies

I've always wanted to try See's chocolates. I'd heard about them all the time, but we don't have them here on the East Coast. So when someone from the company contacted me and asked if I'd like to try a sample, I was psyched. I was particularly excited to try the Scotchmallow, which is honey marshmallow and caramel covered in chocolate.
After driving home from Thanksgiving with the von Schokolats (which took 7 hours instead of the normal 5 due to traffic-- ugh), I was rewarded at the end of my journey with a box of mixed chocolates.
The box says "Old Time Candies," and that's the feeling you get when you open it. They're very comforting chocolates; they don't have a mass-produced look to them. And each chocolate is at least two-bites big, which is nice.
I'd show you a picture of the box, but they've been keeping me going through NaNoWriMo, so it's almost empty at this point. Instead, here's a pic from the See's website.These chocolates are very yummy. The caramel is very chewy and buttery and the marshmallow is fresh. Both the milk chocolate and the dark are good quality. Not too sweet, not at all grainy. Here's what I really like about them: the price. They're some of the more affordable candies out there. Shipping, of course, will up the ante, but that's the price you pay for on-line shopping. (Literally.)
My only complaint is that there's no diagram, like in a Whitman's Sampler. I really like to know what my options are before making the final chocolate decision. I suppose you could go to the website and look each piece up, but that's a lot of work, especially when you're writing fast and furious.

3 comments:

Ice Cube Queen said...

Thanks a lot, madame! I just got home from a l-o-n-g day at work and quickly checked out your webpage.....See's Candies look sooooo delicious!!!!!!! If I had money, I'd buy a lot of this yummy stuff for Christmas presents!!!!!!!

Pam Walter said...

One of the advantages of living out west is that we have See's candy stores in many places. The dark chocolate nugat is my favorite. Glad you enjoyed your first taste. http://blog.sweetservices.com/sweetscandyblog/

CandyProfessor said...

I grew up on See's; I think as a result I've just always thought that those were the flavors of candy. Spoiled me for the fancy European stuff. Is there an East Coast equivalent? Fanny Farmer is the closest I've found, and Ethel M (I think it's called) but those I've only seen in mid-west and Ethel M in D.C.