Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bubble Chocolate: Yay or Nay?


I hate to give any candy a bad review-- I really do-- particularly if a) it was given to me as a sample and b) it's from a small company. But I've got a job to do and that job is to be honest with my opinions. (Which, of course, are just my opinions. Take 'em or leave 'em.)
I was excited at the prospect of Bubble Chocolate. After all, I like Aero bars and I was a fan of the now extinct Nestle Choco'Lite. I expected these bars (in both milk and dark) to taste pretty much like the other "bubble" chocolates out there.
Unfortunately, they didn't. The bars came with instructions on how to best savor them: "Pop it into your mouth, let it melt for 5 to 10 seconds. As you begin to feel the bubbles soften, begin to chew gently. The mouth-feel will develop from slightly dry to moist and creamy." Well, yes, that's true. The problem is, the flavor. It doesn't taste like chocolate. If anything, it tastes like some sort of cheap coconut product, which is odd because the ingredients are all-natural and there's nary a coconut product to be found. I thought it might just be me, so I gave Mr. Goodbar a piece to try (without telling him my opinion). "Oooh, not good," he said.
My advice? Change the chocolate and hire some taste testers, because there is a market for Bubble Chocolate. Just not this kind.

2 comments:

Gina M said...

Funny I have the totally opposite opinion of Bubble Chocolate.
I grew up in Canada with Aero, Mirage, Wispa aerated chocolate bars. I bought a case of Bubble Chocolate a couple of weeks ago off the website. I can't say how much me and my family have enjoy, in fact I feel the chocolate quality's much better then any of the other aerated chocolate bars I have tried. Yay and Double Yay!
Gina

Pam Walter said...

Hmmm...I think I'll go with your opinion and not try it. http://blog.sweetservices.com/sweetscandyblog/