Saturday, February 27, 2010

Let's Talk Fruits and Nuts


There was a time when I wouldn't touch a candy bar (or anything else for that matter) with raisins in it, but in my old age, I've come to believe that the raisin/nut/chocolate combination is quite possibly the most perfect blend of ingredients a candy bar can have.
It started with Cadbury Fruit & Nut bar. I don't remember when I first had one, but it changed my thinking on the whole raisin situation. (This was back when Cadbury chocolate actually tasted good. These days, I find it to be too grainy to enjoy.) And of course there are Chunkys, which I haven't had in forever, but I'm thinking I need to re-try soon. So when I saw that Toblerone came out with a raisin nut bar, I was ecstatic.
Like the other Toblerone bars, this one is composed of little triangular pieces that are easy to break off. I'm guessing the theory is that you would eat one triangle at a time. I, however, have yet to experience an occasion when I could eat just one. I love the rich creaminess of the classic Toblerone, and this bar continues that tradition. The chocolate is smooth and flecked with bits of honey almond nougat and raisins. I dare you to eat just one piece.

5 comments:

Mark D. said...

I'm not sure today's Nestle Chunky will taste like you remember it. The Bewildered Brit review has made me afraid to buy one: http://thebewilderedbrit.blogspot.com/2010/02/whatever-happened-to-nestle-chunky.html

Candy Yum Yum said...

I'm sure it won't be like I remember. *sigh* I can dream.

Candy Professor said...

Have you tried the Green and Black with nuts and currants? For the fruity nutty genre, I liked it a lot. It doesn't have the toffee/nougat bits, though. I'll try me some Toblerone next time it catches my eye.

Pam Walter said...

Love the combination of fruit and nuts. Glad you've come around!

Candy Yum Yum said...

Prof, I have tried the Green & Blacks. I'm trying to remember how I felt about it. I'm thinking that the almond pieces were too small... I like big crunchy nuts.