Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Don't Get Excited ...



I was slogging through some press releases yesterday (delete, delete, delete) when one caught my eye. It said, "Marathon bar to make a come back." I nearly wet my pants I was so excited! The Marathon bar?! The chocolate-covered caramel chain that is iconic of my youth? The candy bar that was the cause of the initial spark of this blog?* Hooray! Only, no, it's not that Marathon. It's the U.K. version of Snickers. How disappointing.

*At work one day, back in the early '90s, before we even had access to the Internet (in the newsroom, no less!), one of the reporters said to me, "Hey, remember that candy bar that was shaped like a chain?" Holy cow, yes I did! I hadn't thought about it in years. "What was the name of that?" he asked.

We thought and thought. Couldn't come up with it for days. (Again, this was pre-Internet, in my world, anyway.) Finally it came to him and it was like, "Huzzah! Coolest candy bar ever!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_Wurly

Like a curly wurly? :P

Candy Yum Yum said...

Yes, but Curly Wurlys don't have the cool ruler on the back!

Jeanna said...

Curly Wurlys are close, but it's just not the same.