Thursday, May 29, 2008

Memaw's Chocolate Vine

(Photo courtesy of some plant website. I owe you one!)
Day 4 in the South.
Lucky Sugar Baby-- he got to spend some time with his Memaw and Grandpa David. I'm not sure what they did with him when I wasn't there, but he was covered with lipstick kisses and had lots to say about David's "big big bike!" (a.k.a. the Harley).
We were sitting outside enjoying the lovely weather and commenting on the landscaping and the hummingbirds. Memaw has a pergola that's covered with a lush vine with funky pods shaped like mini-cucumbers.
"That's my chocolate vine," she said.
Whoa! Whoa! Did she just say chocolate vine?!
Yes, indeedy. Otherwise known as Akibia quinata, this is an invasive plant that produces purplish-brown flowers that SMELL LIKE CHOCOLATE!! How have I never heard of this before? Well, of course I plucked off a pod and stashed it in the suitcase so I can grow my own chocolate plant, but now I'm not so sure. Turns out it's also called "Japanese kudzu" and supposedly will take over the entire yard.

No comments: