Monday, February 05, 2007

Dig in!


I'm addicted to a website that's supposed to be for moms, but really covers every detail of life known to women, including some that really would be best left private. Anyhow, one poster commented on how she was having a dinner party and her husband offered to pick up dessert. She thought he was going to the bakery, but instead came home with a big bag of candy from the drugstore. She was horrified, but it was too late to do anything else. So she said after dinner, she brought out a basket filled with all sorts of fun-sized candy bars and her guests loved it. They went bonkers and everyone had a great time.
That made me think of the big bowl of candy I had in the kitchen. When Henri was about two weeks old, Brian came home from work and said, "What's with the Hello Kitty on the front of the house?"
I had no idea what he was talking about, so I went outside. Yes, there on the front of the house was a giant Hello Kitty pinata. My friend Susan had originally bought it for my baby shower, but she had decided not to use it because she wanted the party to be a classy affair. (She opted, instead, to use the Precious Moments "It's a Boy!" banner, knowing full well that *that* would make me cringe.) So after Henri was born, she left the pinata hanging on the shutters outside my house.
"You might not want to eat the candy," she warned me. "It's been in there for a while." What a tease! How can you give someone a pinata filled to the brim with candy and then tell them not to eat it?!
I dumped it into a big-- HUGE-- bowl and it looked fine. But it was all caramel-based. Those bulls-eyes, square caramels and all different flavored caramel logs. I don't like caramel on it's own. With chocolate, yes, but on it's own, it holds no temptation.
My in-laws, however, LOVED it. First to go were the bulls eyes. Brian and his mom were digging through the bowl to try to find them. My nieces went for the Tootsie Rolls. Eventually the giant bowl dwindled down to a few rogue pieces. It just goes to show, though, that people love candy, even if they won't admit it. It's a great idea to always have a big basket of candy on hand for guests. Candy= FUN!

No comments: