Monday, February 26, 2007

The first of the British haul


The Brits may not be known for their cuisine, but boy, they know how to do candy right. During my first trip overseas when I was 20 years old, I drank too much tap water and ended up having some nasty GI problems. I survived on a big bag of candy bars that I bought at a petrol station, mostly Lion bars. Yum!

So I've started diving into my new stash of candy from the UK store. First up was the Milky Way. I almost didn't buy this, because I thought it would be the same as our Milky Way, but then I saw it was described as having a "white whipped centre." There's no caramel here like in the U.S. version. It was pretty similar to a Three Musketeers, only a little thinner. It was fine, but wouldn't be my first pick.
Next up was the Cadbury Fudge. Oh, those cheeky Brits. The wrapper said, "Fudge covered with milk chocolate," so I assumed it would be chocolate fudge. But it was vanilla, I guess. I was very surprised by this. It was small, which I liked. I wish we had more variety in the size of our candy bars, and by that I mean smaller bars, not the giant King Size ones that can feed a family of four.
After that I moved onto the Original Yorkie. I've had the Yorkie with biscuit pieces and raisins before (it also has a quizzical slogan: "Not for Girls." Huh?), but this one was plain chocolate. At first I was disappointed, but it turned out to be really yummy chocolate. And fine, I'll admit that I dipped a few pieces of it into a jar of peanut butter and it was really, really good.
So no, my diet is not going well, but I don't care. Candy is a part of my life. I just need to accept that and move on.

No comments: