Monday, July 16, 2007

Buddhalicious

There I was in the doctor's office again, reading a magazine, when I found yet another interesting candy story. Of course I had to tear it out, which I tried to do on the sly so I wouldn't get dirty looks from the other patients. Anyhow, apparently there's a woman in Portland, Oregon who makes chocolate gods and icons, like the Buddha, the Virgin of Guadalupe, etc. She molds the chocolate, then hand-paints them with 23-karat gold leaf. They're quite beautiful, actually. The thing is, I don't think I could eat one of them. Not because I think it's sacreligious or anything (or, as Homer might say, "Mmmm, sacredelicious"), but just because it looks like real sculpture. It doesn't really whet my appetite the way a chocolate bunny or Santa Claus might. I don't think you can order from the website, though; I think you can find her stuff at local farmers' markets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you know where I can find chocolate Buddha molds?

Thanks!