Tuesday, July 03, 2007

You got your 3 Musketeers in my York Peppermint Pattie!


I really, really wanted to like the new 3 Musketeers Mint. I somehow feel an allegiance to the mint/chocolate combination, maybe because I grew up with an appreciation for York Peppermint Patties, my mom's favorite. It's just one of those ideal flavor pairs, like chocolate and peanut butter or raspberry. But you can see where this is heading already...
The bar is thinner than a regular 3 Musketeers and it's actually two separate bars. Visually pretty appealing, but you can't help but feel like you're being ripped off since this special edition is smaller than the regular thing. The wrapper, which goes from the traditional silver into a minty-green bleed says, "Fluffy Chocolate-on-Mint Taste." Wha?? What the heck is that supposed to mean? What marketing guru thought that gem up?
The bar itself looks really yummy. It's dark chocolate and the inside is a bright fluffy white. Kudos for presentation. But the first whiff of it is disappointing. It smells like those cheapy peppermint patties you see at Thanksgiving and Christmas. And then there's the taste.
"It's like a big York Peppermint Pattie," said Brian.
That was my first thought, too. But it's not as minty and then there's the aftertaste ... a sort of malty, grainy flavor (not texture, just taste). I guess that's what makes it a 3 Musketeers.
Like I said, I really wanted to like this bar for some reason. But the aftertaste just stuck with me. I don't think I'll ever be a 3 Musketeers fan.

No comments: