Friday, September 26, 2008

Fudge For a New World

Yesterday I received a package from Allison's Gourmet. Inside was a round of organic vegan fudge. Yes, my friends, I did say vegan. As in, no animal products whatsoever. Admittedly my first thought was, "Fudge without milk, cream or butter? No thanks." Then of course I wondered what they could possibly use in place of those ingredients. Ahhhh-- coconut milk and coconut butter. Now things were looking a little more promising.
After dinner tonight, we busted open the package and cut it up. We each took a little piece and sniffed, then sampled.
Dang! It was good. I mean, really good, like you wouldn't even know it was vegan. (Not in a, "Try this tofu burger, you won't even miss the meat" kind of way, but in a "Hey, don't be eating all of my fudge" kind of way. I'm not even sure what that means, but somehow it makes sense in my head.)
Here are the official comments from the round table:
Grandpa: "I could eat a whole pound of that."
Meemaw: "Very chocolatey. I'm not a huge fan of fudge, but that's very good. Very smooth."
Mr. Goodbar: "Mmmm. Now you can have fudge AND impress your lesbian friends." (Please send all letters to Mr. Goodbar, 14 Politically Correct Way, Pleasanttown, Blue State, 06611.)

So there you have it: rich, creamy chocolatey fudge without the weight of the animal kingdom on your back. The price is kind of steep: $24.90 for a 6" x 6" tray, but it's a small price to pay for a satisfied sweet tooth and a clear conscience.

1 comment:

Ms. Chops said...

What other suggestions might Mr. Goodbar have for impressing my lesbian friends, I wonder?