Monday, September 22, 2008

Trader Joe's Almond in the Coconut


I'd been eyeing these babies the past few times I went to Trader Joe's. I'd pick them up, put them back. Pick them up, put them back. Finally I decided enough was enough and I bought 'em. Here's what the label says (since my photography skills are so bad): "Crunchy almonds and a creamy coconut center enrobed in milk chocolate."
Yeah, I know. Milk chocolate. That's why I kept putting them back. It seems that the only acceptable chocolate for almonds and coconut is dark, not milk, although obviously the success of Almond Joy speaks differently. So I decided to give them a chance anyway.
Here's the deal. They're good, don't get me wrong. The coconut is nice and chewy and the milk chocolate is quite good. But the almonds are chopped up into little pieces-- big strike on that one. And, try as I might to like these just the way they are, I can't help but wonder how much more delicious they'd be in dark.
And so, half a container still sits hidden amongst the flour and sugar in the cabinet, waiting for Mr. Goodbar to find them. But I reckon he'll have the same response. "Milk chocolate? Oh man!"

No comments: