Thursday, January 03, 2008

Crazee for Cashews


A couple of weeks ago, Sue MKAFFGGF said something astute. "I never actually have a desire for peanut brittle," she said, "but whenever we have it, I can't stop eating it."

She said they had some at the fire station, and she remembered how good the stuff can be.

I totally agree. Some years ago, friends sent me a tin of chocolate-covered peanut brittle. The stuff was incredible. But I don't think I've had any since then.

But this past Christmas, I was given a tin full of Judy's homemade cashew brittle. Holy smokes. Talk about addictive. I mean, it's so freakin' yummy I have to hide it from myself. It's crunchy with just a slight chew at the end, and the cashews are sweet and salty and fabulous. The Baron tried to dip his paws into my stash o' brittle, but I caught him and allowed him a single, solitary piece. Now every night I reward myself with a piece or two. Or three. I have to get the recipe.

(Editor's note: while writing this, I suddenly remembered one of the very first jokes I told my grandmother:

"Knock, knock!"

"Who's there?"

"Cashew."

"Cashew who?"

"Gesundheit!")