Thursday, January 24, 2008

Nothing Whatsoever To Do With Candy


This, my friends, is what a coffee bean looks like way before it gets to Starbucks.
Yes, after ten or so years of gentle nurturing, my lone surviving coffee plant has begun sprouting beans! I can't tell you how excited I am.
I originally had two coffee plants that I bought at Trader Joe's. They were tiny, but over time they grew into tall, dark, beautiful trees. When I got pregnant, however, I was sure that I could smell the acrid caffeine oozing from one of the trees, so I made Mr. Goodbar take it out behind the garage and put it (and me) out of its misery. I figured the lone tree would never sprout coffee beans, but this summer, lo and behold, a tiny green berry appeared. Now there's a bunch of them and they're fattening up and turning red. I planted the first two beans and I'm going to save the rest for the first official batch of Candy Yum Yum coffee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We want a picture of your coffee tree!!! We'll send you a picture of our orange trees :)