Sunday, June 22, 2008

More on Favorite Childhood Candy

There were some great responses to my previous post on Favorite Childhood Candy. Interestingly enough, the Ice Cube Queen mentioned a candy I've never heard of: Peachstones. What are these?? And Bazooka Betsy said her favorite was Baby Ruth or Oh Henry, "which are the same thing, right?" First of all, I'm shocked that this was her favorite. I would've bet money on a Reese's. Second, any candy lover will tell you they're not the same thing, but what is the difference exactly? Off the top of my head, I'd say the caramel in a Baby Ruth is softer and thinner and the nougat sweeter, but I can't say for sure. It's been a long time since I've had either. (Admittedly, the last time I had an Oh Henry! was after my baby shower in which they were given out as favors. I guess I sort of overdosed on them because I haven't had one since.) In any case, I'll be conducting an experiment soon to determine a more accurate decision.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in the dark ages, in Catholic Grammar school, candy & chips were sold every day! Peachstones were my favorite....small (peach stone size), hard,orangish-reddish candies that I think sold for like four for 1 cent!! I remember loving them but never could find them after we stopped selling candy in school.

One more favorite....FIREBALLS!

And, yeah, those Babe Ruths and OHenry's are good too!

Jeanna said...

I haven't seen an O'Henry bar for years, but I remember them only as minis given out at Halloween. I think the Baby Ruths had bigger nuts and more substance. And of course they looked gross (Caddyshack).
My favorites were Black Jack Taffy, candy lipsticks, and Sixlets.