Thursday, June 12, 2008

Say It With Me: Borrrrrrrachiiiiitos!




Sue MKAFFGGF can't stop saying "Hitachino! Hitachino!", the name of a beer she likes. Likewise, I can't stop saying, "Borrachitos!", a type of Mexican candy made by Crown Nuggets.


I was sent two sample boxes of these candies. Visually, they're mucho tasty-looking. Kind of like little cinnamon-sugar cruellers, or maybe log-shaped bulls-eyes. The taste is completely unique.


These come in two flavors: Licor de Cafe and Tequila. Allow me to stray a bit here and explain that, on the Madam Yum Yum taste continuum, coffee is at one end and tequila (shudder) is at the other.


Madam Yum Yum has been drinking coffee since the age of, oh, five or so, when she'd sit on her mother's lap and steal sips. (After four other kids, Madame Yum Yum's mother had bigger and better things to worry about than the purported growth-stunting properties of caffeine, such as bailing her sons out of trouble for lighting fireworks and ripping open leaf bags.) Madame Yum Yum gave up coffee for nine long months, but is now in a co-dependent relationship with Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts. So it's safe to say that anything coffee-flavored is a-okay!


On the other end of the scale, Madame Yum Yum had one of those famed life-altering experiences with tequila in college. She doesn't remember much, just sitting around a kitchen table with a mighty cheap bottle of swill, fighting for space at the porcelain god with Mr. Goodbar, and something about riding a bicycle in a parking lot at 2 a.m. The rest of her memories end with laying in bed for two days, begging for mercy. It took many years before Madame Yum Yum could even say the word "tequila," which she had to do when she got not one but two assignments to write about tequila.


So back to the candy at hand. Naturally I opened the Licor de Cafe ones first. The texture was completely different than I thought. These babies are very soft, almost gelatinous. The sugar adds a nice contrasting texture. I can't think of anything else to compare them to. Next, the taste. Mmmm, nice boozy kick. Mr. Goodbar likened them to that Christmas favorite, rum balls. In fact, Mr. Goodbar has since co-opted the box and has a piece every night after work. Happy hour in a candy!


As for the tequila flavored ones ... Okay, I have to be totally honest here and say I just couldn't do it. I really thought I was over my aversion, but apparently not. I couldn't bring myself to try them. But I passed them onto a friend who is a tequila aficinado and she said the aroma alone was heavenly. You can check these out at the Crown Candies website.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmm the licor de caffe ones sound grand....I also dont think I could stomach the Tequila ones..best not go into why lol

Jim