Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Candy Yum Yum Book Nook!

Okay Yumsters, it's now August which means only one more month of summer beach reading. So put down that Jodi Picoult book (and while you're at it, return it to the library so I can get a look at what all the brouhaha is about) and check out these fabulous candy-themed tomes.
First we have "Candy Darlings," a young adult novel by Christine Walde. It may look like I took a horribly fuzzy photo (and typically, that would be correct), but in fact the cover of this book had a weird wooziness to it. In any case, I started to read it and it was a story of two troubled teenage girls and the hijinx they get caught up in. The fun part was that one of the characters always had candy, so in one chapter she'd be sucking on a Ring Pop, and in another she'd be chomping on a Kit Kat. I didn't get very far in the book before I had to return it, though, so I can't tell you if it ends in candy tragedy or not.
Next up is "Harriet's Halloween Candy," by Nancy Carlson. This was a delightful romp about a dog (Harriet) who gets a boatload of candy at Halloween and doesn't want to share with her brother. In the end, she makes herself look good by giving him some, but the truth is, she gives him the candy she doesn't like, and only after she's eaten herself into a sugar coma. I particularly like how she sorts out all the candy. A dog after my own heart.
Finally, we have "Magus the Lollipop Man" by Michael Mullins. I found this gem at the local humungo book sale that's held every July. There are zillions of books and-- better still-- fantastic people watching. Nothing brings out the freaks like used books. (Chill out-- I'm including myself in that equation.) I haven't read this one yet, but I knew I had to have it when I opened it and skimmed a paragraph that said something about the Black Plague lollipops. Whoa.

No comments: