Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Making Whoopie!












Back in June, I sent the von Schokolats on a quest to find a Whoopie Pie bakery* I'd read about. They went, and the Baron sent his whiny review. Good thing I didn't trust what he had to say, or I would've missed out on the pure chocolate ecstasy known as a "Whoop-de-Doo."


First of all, the Baron complained that it took him forever to find it in Freeport. All I have to say is, OPEN YOUR EYES! Okay, so it wasn't located right next to the Gap or the Mangey Moose. But it's not like it was shoved down some back alley with no sign. It was right on the corner next to the Town Hall.

The place only sells Whoopie Pies (well, and some muffins), but the scene stealer was the display of gigantic Whoopie Pies. Gretl had gotten one for her birthday and boy, were they huge.


On this visit, we opted to get a six-pack because, well, how could you not with flavors like mint, oatmeal, strawberry, lemon, chocolate chocolate and peanut butter?! I, however, was most interested in the Whoop-de-Doos, little chocolate-covered Whoopie Pies. The Baron and the Baroness both agreed that it was no big deal, that it tasted like a Ring Ding, but still, I had to try it. Oh how wrong they were! This was so much better. Imagine, chocolate cake with fluffy white filling covered in oozy dark chocolate. Bliss, I tell you, Bliss! Liesl agreed with me. This little piece of heaven was enough to satisfy my Whoopie Pie urges, so the only other ones I sampled were the lemon and mint, both of which were very good.

Of course, despite the Baron's negative review last time, he did manage to get in a few good chomps of each Whoopie Pie, and he determined the lemon to be the best. Whatever.


*It's called Isamax Snacks, which is a dreadful name for a bakery. Apparently it's named after the owners two children, but frankly it sounds like a corporate food service rather than a yummy-cakey-chocolatey bakery.

1 comment:

Ms. Chops said...

Bleary-eyed from 5 hours of driving, a 6-hour ferry ride from Nova Scotia, and fresh from a bar stool in Portland we still managed to see the "Whoopie Pie" sign when Mr. Chops and I decided to go on a midnight shopping raid at L.L. Bean. Sorry, Baron!