Saturday, August 30, 2008

Free Candy! Young & Smylie Licorice


A few months ago, the kind folks at Hershey's sent me an e-mail saying they'd shipped me some of their new Young & Smylie licorice to try. (Gotta love that name. It makes me think of a toothless old man sitting out front on a rocking chair saying, "When I was a kid, we were all young and smiley. Now you whippersnappers are all moody and sullen with your e-Pods and your fancy phones with keyboards.") Anyhow, I was excited and I waited ... and I waited ... And then I kind of forgot about it, until I started seeing reviews of it on some of the other candy blogs. I sent back an e-mail and said, just FYI, I never received the licorice.

Hmmm, they said. We did send it. To this address: Candy Yum Yum's old residence.

Holy cow! Could that be the reason there was a party going on in my old house the night I drove by? (Not stalking. Really.) Were the new owners sitting back laughing devilishly as they plowed through MY licorice? Even though I told them that I sometimes get lots of strange candy-related packages and to call me if they ever receive any by accident? A pox upon them!

The kind Hershey folks sent out another package, though, and this time I received it. They've launched their new line of licorice: traditional black, strawberry and peach mango. The label says it's "Old fashioned soft-eating licorice." They weren't kidding. This is the softest licorice I've ever had. It has a really nice flavor to it-- deep and herby and sweet. Even No-Nuts liked it.

Next we tried the strawberry. I'm not big on strawberry or flavored licorice, so I wasn't particularly wowed by this. It was definitely in-your-face strawberry.

The last bag, peach mango, will be going to a randomly-chosen Candy Yum Yum reader. All you have to do is tell me about your fantasy licorice flavor in the comments. If you could invent a licorice flavor, what would it be? I'll stop taking comments on Friday, Sept. 5 at high noon, EST.

9 comments:

DaisyChain said...

I'd love to see cinnamon liquorice.
I tried a soft eating ginger one today.
Too good for words.

Candy Gurus said...

I want candy companies to send me free candy...hmmm...better keep writing :)

I LOVE licorice. Love it. Like the Europers do. Sadly for Hershey - I need some chew. I dont' like it too soft.

Will these ones age like red vines? Meaning - if I open the package and leave it open for days. Will it get tres firm? If so, I'm in like Flynn.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I do not care for licorice much, however, doctored up with the mango and peach it might very well be okay. Funny, I do like tarragon though... maybe if they made tarragon and mushroom licorice... hmmm. G.McD

philly said...

Maybe a minty liquorice ^_^

Anonymous said...

how about tangerine? Or pineapple?

Anonymous said...

I think that pineapple or lemon-lime would be yummy!

Anonymous said...

I think that pineapple or lemon-lime would be yummy!

Anonymous said...

What about a dangerous chilli liquorice???

Anonymous said...

I AM A GREAT FAN OF SOUR CANDIES. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE LEMON, WATERMELON OR GREEN APPLE LICORICE. I HAVE HAD THE BLACK AND I AM ADDICTED TO THE STRAWBERRY. RASPBERRY WOULD BE TASTY TOO. I AM ANXIOUS TO TRY THE MANGO//PEACH. KEEP 'EM COMIN. YUM YUM