Thursday, July 03, 2008



Before I even begin, let me do a full disclosure: Buzz Bites is a Candy Yum Yum patron. This, however, has no bearing on what I'm about to write. My policy is, if you send me something to try and I hate it, I just won't write about it. I'm not out to make or break a company, and I'm certainly not the Roger Ebert of candy reviewing, so my two cents is just that, two cents in an ocean of pennies.

Having said that, on with the post. Buzz Bites are "chocolate energy chews" that look disconcertingly like bouillon cubes. I don't have much experience with caffeinated candy, simply because Mama Yum Yum loves her the java. I drink coffee all day long, so the last thing I need is more caffeine. But in the interest of my coffee-hating readers (oh, how tragic!), I had to try one. Here's the deal: it's pretty fudgey and very sweet. It left a lingering aftertaste in my mouth, but it wasn't a bad aftertaste. I didn't feel the need to immediately brush my teeth as I would after having, say, a diet soda. As for the caffeine effect, well, I'm just not a good judge because, as I said, it runs through my veins. So I had get input from another tester.

Yep, you got it: No-Nuts is earning her keep by being the Candy Yum Yum summer intern guinea pig. She tried one and said it was pretty good and she thought it gave her some energy. (Hmmm, I'd have to agree since she cleaned my stove after eating one.)

Each chew is 25 calories and is the equivalent of one cup of coffee or 1.25 energy drinks. If I was the type of person who 1) didn't like coffee and 2) could satisfy my sweet tooth with just one piece of candy, I'd say these would be a good option. And if I was looking for a business opportunity, I'd start selling these in college dorms during finals week. What a gold mine that would be!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oooh these look intresting but I think I will stick my with morning black americano!!

By the looks of your picture they look like stock cubes!! Not the most appertising thing ever!

Jim

Anonymous said...

I think they sounhd like a great alternative to coffee. I guess Jim will take his americano, but ill try a buzz bite if its gonna get me the same boost!