Friday, January 09, 2009

In Goes Chocolate, Out Comes Love

During the ice storm the other day, I was practically crawling the walls for a chocolate fix, but I didn't have anything in the house to satisfy my needs.
It wasn't until 8 p.m. that night that I remembered I had two Shaman Chocolate bars stashed away in my big box of work crap for an article on organic chocolates. The chocolate gods were smiling upon me. I decided to go for the Organic Milk Chocolate with Macadamia Nuts and Hawaiian Pink Sea Salt.
I've been having issues with salt and chocolate lately. Done right, it's the perfect combination. But done with the wrong proportions, it can be really bad. Over Christmas I had some Godiva chocolate-covered pretzels that were quite right. As was the case with this bar.
The nuts are chopped up finely (one of my pet peeves; I prefer whole or at least half nuts), and the chocolate smelled more like dark chocolate than milk. But let me tell you, this was an addicting bar. The salt was just right-- just enough to make you want to eat one more piece. And then, well, maybe one more.
I checked out the Shaman Chocolates website and here's what it had to say:

"Shaman Chocolates was created in 2002 after Huichol shaman and healer, Brant Secunda had a visionary dream of people eating chocolate and the chocolate was filling their bodies with love. Chocolate is sacred to the Huichols, who for thousands of years have used it in their ceremonies and left it as offerings to show their love for Mother Earth."

Dude! I've had that same exact dream. Or wait-- that's my reality. When I eat chocolate, I fill my body with love. I can't say, though, that I've ever had enough excess chocolate to offer to Mother Earth. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

No comments: