Sunday, January 25, 2009

Those Fruity 3 Musketeers

I've always had mixed feelings about 3 Musketeers. They've never been my favorite, but I would never turn one down if offered. They do have fewer calories than most candy bars, so they've got that going for them. But I've always just wanted something more out of them. More texture? More flavor? I don't know. Something. So I've continuously been excited about their limited edition flavors. I was very excited for the mint, but sadly, it didn't meet my expectations. I never got to try the orange, which is sad, because I feel like I could've really liked them. Well now the Musketeers have donned their Valentine's hats and Easter bonnets in the form of: Raspberry and:


Cherry.
The first whiff of the raspberry ones (delicately-colored pink) reminded me of the raspberry creams from the chocolate shop where I worked in college. What can I say? It tasted like you'd expect a raspberry 3 Musketeer to taste like. Fruity, but with that same wheaty, malty Musketeeriness. These are pretty good. Still not something I'd go out of my way for, but I wouldn't turn down.
As for the cherry, well, I just don't do cherry and chocolate. The color of these was much brighter and quite festive. But the taste reminded me of the strange little fondue set I had as a kid. I'm sure I've mentioned it before. Stale mini marshmallows, cherry "fondue." Little plastic fondue forks. Weird. So I deferred to Mr. Goodbar on this one.
"Nothing wrong with that," he said. So there you go.

I'm not sure what flavor I'd like to see next in 3 Musketeers. I'd almost like to see what they could do with the Musketeer texture combined with marshmallow flavor.

No comments: