Saturday, August 11, 2007

My new candy friend

I belong to a very top-secret group of writers. There are nine of us from all over the world (well, okay, the continental U.S., Hawaii and Australia) and we've been corresponding practically every day for three years. We call ourselves the Byline Babes and we totally rock. It's a rare and lovely phenomenon when one of the Babes meets another one. I had that good fortune last week. One of the Babes stopped by on her way through a New England vacation with her husband and 10-year-old son Alexander. I made up a goodie bag of candy from my stockpiles for Alexander which opened up a conversation about candy. I asked him what his favorite candy was and he thought about it for a minute. I was fully expecting to hear something like Reese's or maybe Pop Rocks, but he came up with this fantastic answer: Tootsie Pops. I told him I was surprised by that and I said I liked the orange ones. He replied with an excited, "Me too!" Then I asked him what candy he didn't like. Again, he took the time to think about it and answered, "Banana Laffy Taffy."
I think I'm going to start an informal tally of kids' favorites. What fun!

No comments: