Sunday, August 26, 2007

S'more please!



I've discussed marshmallow before. It's a tricky thing. Done just right, it's heavenly. But more often than not, it's too much of something: too sticky, too dry, not bouncy enough. So when the von Schokolats produced this bag of "Soft-Kiss" chocolate-covered marshmallows, I didn't expect much. The Baronness suggested we make S'mores out of them, and I was game.

The only graham crackers I had on hand were the Keebler variety, which pale in comparison to the Honey-Maid ones, so I figured this was going to be a doomed experiment.

Fortunately, I was wrong. A few seconds in the microwave (I know, I know; more on this in a bit) and we had these ooey-gooey marshmallowy, chocolatey snacks. These were darn good. The Baronness attributed the success due to the fact that it had "just the right amount of chocolate." Well, that's debateable of course. Can you ever have too much chocolate? But there was a nice balance of textures and tastes.
Now, I know you can't really make a true S'more in the microwave. That's totally cheating and you won't get the same results as making them over a fire. A true S'more will have a crusty-on-the-outside, golden marshmallow melting between layers of Hershey's chocolate. But hey, in a pinch, the microwave will do.



No comments: