Thursday, August 23, 2007

Now that's a brown bag lunch!


The other day I was pondering the idea of favorite foods and was trying to determine what mine was. When I was little, it was spaghetti. I could eat pasta from morning til night and never tire of it. I still love pasta, but is it my favorite? The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I really love a good sandwich. I'm open to lots of different kinds: tuna on rye, turkey with stuffing and cranberry on a roll, roast beef with horseradish sauce, I could go on and on. So what could be more perfect than a chocolate sandwich?!
Yes, you read that right. Look at this German goodie: it's called Eszet Schnitten and it's thin wafers of either dark or milk chocolate. Apparently the thing to do is to spread some bread with butter and top it with a chocolate wafer, but I went a few steps further. I bought some fresh bread at the bakery and slathered on peanut butter, than the chocolate, and grilled it up in some melted butter. Oh my! I thought that I'd prefer the milk chocolate because I don't usually like dark chocolate with pb, but this was an exception. The dark definitely won my heart. Yes, this is a heart attack on a plate, but for an occasional treat, why not? I can think of some other great combinations, too, like banana, marshmallow, pastrami ... oh wait, no forget that last one. I have two pieces left, so I'm willing to entertain your ideas. What kind of chocolate sandwich should I make?

No comments: