Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Miscellaneous Ramblings About Gum Wrapper Chains

Sue MKAFFGGF sent me a page out of a catalog for an ultra-chic bag made out of gum wrappers. Very cool. Until I saw the price: $49 for a clutch, $229 for a bag. HUH? It's gum wrappers, friends. Whatever. Then I did a search and apparently you can buy all sorts of things made out of gum wrappers... rugs, wallets, cars. Well, maybe not cars, but you get the point.
I remember when I was little the Ice Cube Queen had a giant chain she was making out of gum wrappers. It was the coolest thing ever. I wonder what happened to it?
A month or two ago when the Von Schokolats were here, I tried making a gum wrapper chain as part of our jewelry-making efforts, but no luck. I got the folding part right, I just couldn't figure out how to attach them. Lame, I know, considering it's an activity for kids. In fact, here are some instructions from that venerable children's magazine/doctors' office staple, Highlights Magazine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You put my bubble gum chain comment in the wrong spot!!! It's under the blog underneath!

Anonymous said...

You were just waiting for me to respond, weren't you, CandyYumYum?!!! Well, back in "ancient times," bubble gum chains were made to give to your boyfriends (who were supposed to burn them, I think). So, I must have given that really long chain to someone! (Didn't I have it wrapped around my bright orange mirror for a while, just wondering?!) Anyways, I taught the art of making bubble gum chains to my kids, but none of them were that interested...or maybe I just wouldn't buy them that much gum!!!