Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Starbucks + Chocolate= Yumtastic Deliciousness

I'm a big fan of the Starbuckery. Yes, yes, I know it's a chain. Yes, I know if I quit my caffeine habit I could save $1.5 million a year. But there's just something comforting about the fact that a) wherever I go in the world, there's bound to be a 'Buckery, and b) I know what to expect. And their decaf Mocha was the only thing I could drink during pregnancy, so it will always hold a fond place in my heart. My only problem with them is that they use Tazo for their teas, and I led a solo boycott against Tazo because one of their reps totally dissed me at a trade show one year (as I was offering him the opportunity to have an article written about their stupid chai; no article for you, loser tea guy). Anyhow! The big news has been that Hershey has teamed up with Starbucks to create a new line of chocolates that will be available in stores and at the coffee shops.
Yesterday, a nice sampling of the chocolates arrived.
Now, I will fully disclose that my sense of taste/smell is still off from the Great Flu of 2008, so I can hardly review them for you. But I'll do the best I can.
The first piece I had was a Dark Chocolate Vanilla Bean Truffle. I had to get my schnozz right in there to get a whiff of the chocolate, but when I finally did, it smelled like good stuff. I thought the inside would be a fluffy vanilla center, but it was actually rather solid. That threw me off. But it was good, and the chocolate itself has a nice snap.
Second piece, Milk Chocolate Chai Truffle. Okay, so I lifted my self-imposed ban for these. First off, they're cute. They're shaped like little upside down teacups. As for the flavor, I must say, I was very impressed. When you hear "chai," sometimes you just get a sprinkling of cinnamon. This, however, had a full array of cinnamon, clove and ginger. Very exotic.
The third piece I had was a Dark Chocolate Espresso Truffle. Frankly, I didn't really think this would wow me; I mean, big deal, chocolate and espresso. But hello! Kapow! This was one super tasty, yumtastic chocolate. I mean, deep, dark, chocolatey, espressoey love!
I stopped myself there, but next up are Milk Chocolate Caffe Mocha Truffles, tasting squares in Milk, Dark, Mocha Dark, Chai Milk, Passion Dark and Citron Dark, as well as Milk Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans.
I really think this is a good thing that Starbucks is doing, because frankly they have the worst pastries ever. And what's a cup of coffee without a little nibble to go with it?

1 comment:

Moonlitstorm said...

Ahh, a blog that aims right at my sweettooth. Love it! I have read through about 15 to 20 of your posts, as many as I could get through without going to the store and emptying my bank account to try some of the goodies you write about. Luckily for me I had a "Reese's" before I found your site or I would be gaining 15 to twenty pounds right about now. I am definitely adding you to my favorite blogs list.