Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Start Stock Piling!


It struck me the other day that Easter is coming up very soon, so I hit the seasonal aisle at the grocery store and got some Russell Stover eggs-- coconut cream, caramel and marshmallow and vanilla cream. Can I just say that the coconut cream egg smells exactly like Easter?! Take a whiff; that's what I associate Easter with. Anyhow, I also wanted to get some black jelly beans and was shocked to find that they aren't as popular as I thought. I had to scour the entire aisle, looking through bags of speckled jelly eggs, spice beans, and all sorts of other "branded" jelly beans before I finally found a few measly bags of all-black. What's the deal? Aren't black jelly beans an Easter standard?

A friend came over yesterday and when she saw the bag on the counter, she commented how she and her husband both love black jellybeans. So much so that her mother-in-law stocks up on them and puts them in the freezer for them. "Who puts jelly beans in the freezer?" my friend said. I can't say I've ever heard of that, but it might not be such a bad idea. I worry that black jelly beans may be going the way of the black Jujy Fruit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think our black jelly beans are okay. Jelly Belly says it's their #2 selling flavor ... so at least they'll keep making it.

I want someone to make a black jelly bean that doesn't turn my tongue green.

Jeanna said...

Wait a minute, what happened to the black JuJu Fruit? Say it ain't so. I never thought of freezing jelly beans, but the black ones are the first picked out of the candy dish.