Friday, March 28, 2008

Chocolate for Dinner


I will freely admit it: I love Mark Bittman's cookbooks. You know, those giant tomes that can double as doorstops, "How to Cook Everything," "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian," and "The Best Recipes in the World." (Although, frankly, I should be a little miffed since the first book is quite obviously titled incorrectly. If if really taught me how to cook EVERYTHING, then why do I need the other two?) I met Mark through my editor at the newspaper and frankly, I'm so envious of him I can't stand it. If his recipes weren't so darned perfect I'd have to hate him. Anyhoo, I was considering writing a blog called Bittman Bite by Bite in which I cook up all of his recipes, since that seems to be what I've been doing lately anyway. Which brings me to this post.

Last night we had Beer Glazed Beans from the vegetarian cookbook.

What does this have to do with candy, you ask?

The recipe calls for a tablespoon of honey, which I didn't have. But I did have that chocolate honey from Sue MKAFFGGF's sister. So what the heck? If chocolate is good enough for Mexican mole, it's good enough for beer beans!

And it was. Mmm, mmm, these were mighty good. Very sweet, thanks of course to the chocolate honey, and I made some whole wheat cous cous to go with them.

No comments: