Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pineapple Lumps!

OH! I just opened the bag of Pineapple Lumps that the fabulous New Zealand Cupcake Queen sent me and I totally did not expect them to taste the way they do. For some reason, I thought they'd be jellies. I expected to bite into it and it would be soft and sugary, but instead it was nougaty. From the looks of the chocolate coating, these didn't fare as well as the other candies on the trip overseas, so I wonder if the texture is a little off. I'm thinking these are supposed to be a little chewier, not unlike a Charleston Chew, but as they are now, they're sticking to my teeth. In any case, these are very unusual and very yummy. The pineapple flavor is very similar to a pineapple Life Saver, which I totally love.
The package says, "Pineapple Lumps have been available since 1935. They are unique to New Zealand like Jandals, Pavlova and the Haka. Try them from the refrigerator to get that really chewy sensation!"
(I had to look those three things up. Jandals are flip-flops, Pavlova is the meringue cake topped with fruit and the Haka is a traditional Maori dance.)
Thus concludes my New Zealand candy taste test. My conclusion: those Kiwis really know how to make candy!

5 comments:

city said...

I've been very slack at getting around to leaving comments on alot of the blogs I read. I'd say your poor Pineapple Lumps probably didn't fare well on their journey from NZ but they are a very chewy consistency.

who knew the packaging would give you so much NZ trivia! Good old pav, jandals and the haka!

Anonymous said...

I am a Kiwi and took Pineapple Lumps with me during my trip to Oregon. I gave a talk at a childrens reading programe. I was asked to share some kiwi culture with the kids, I bet when those parents dropped their kids off they were not expecting a sugar crazy child when they returned to pick them up. I explained Jandals, Pav and showed them a video of our rugby team the All Blacks doing the haka (which left them giggling at how funny big men looked 'sticking there toungs out and yelling jiberish'). I finished off by sharing my Pineapple Lump stash with them. They loved them so much they still write me asking me to send them some, 7 monthes after I have returned home to NZ. Haha yay the power of the Pinapple Lump!

Candy Yum Yum said...

Candy is indeed a universal language!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhh but have you tried a Perky Nana??? (made by Cadbury NZ)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE pineapple lumps!!!! ever since ive moved back to the US after spending like 9 years in NZ the things i miss most are L&P and PINEAPPLE LUMPS!!!! =)