Tuesday, April 22, 2008

There's No Such Thing As A Coincidence

Sue MKAFFGGF and the Golden Nose came over this weekend for a little garden chat/steak eating contest, so for dessert, I decided to try something new from the 125 Best Chocolate Chip Recipes cookbook which, as you may recall, was the source of the Best. Dessert. Ever.

This time, I opted for Chocolate Chip Coconut Pie, because the description made it sound so good:



"This dessert-- a chewy, ooey-gooey chocolate chip cookie baked in a flaky pastry crust-- acts like a party in your mouth."



Well heck, who doesn't love a good party? It was by far the easiest dessert I've made in a long, long time. Here it is:


Preheat oven to 350.



1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut (note: next time I'd use a whole cup)

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla (note: next time I might use almond extract to give it an Almond Joy flavor)

1 unbaked pie shell

Confectioner's sugar for garnish



In a large bowl, combine sugar, chocolate chips, flour, coconut and salt. Add melted butter, eggs and vanilla, stirring well.



Pour mixture into a pie shell. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out almost clean. Let cool completely on rack.



Lightly dust top with confectioner's sugar. (I didn't do this. I served it warm with vanilla ice cream.)



There you have it. Easy as, well, pie. But here's the thing. Check this out.



The Golden Nose took a bite and he said, "Mmmm, this is so good. It's like a party in my mouth!" I kid you not! He really said that. I said, "I bet you say that to all the desserts," but he claims that, no, he never says that. So wow. There you go. Fiesta!

No comments: