Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Bread and Chocolate


Let me just say, when I saw this candy bar on the shelf at Wild Oats, I was so excited, I could hardly stand it. Bread & Chocolate it said on the wrapper. Two of my most favorite things! And it's organic, AND it's Fair Trade! Wowee, this seemed like a home run. And the packaging is pretty darn cute, too.
I ran home with my bounty and waited excitedly for the perfect moment to unveil my new find.
Right before bed one night, I opened it up and took a nibble. Yikes.
It tasted like burnt toast.
Now, I really can't say what I was expecting, since it's not a common occurrence to find bread and chocolate together, but I guess I was kind of hoping for something akin to a chocolate croissant.
Mr. Goodbar asked what I thought of it. "You'll love it," I said, since we seem to have polar-opposite tastes.
But he didn't.
He didn't necessarily agree with my burnt toast evaluation, but suffice it to say that the rest of the bar (and there was quite a lot left) got tossed. I'm very sad, because I had such high expectations. I'd definitely give some of the other Theo chocolates a shot, but they're not cheap. This bar (the size of a regular Hershey bar) was $2.99, so I don't think I'll be sampling their other stuff any time soon.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

That's disappointing. I have been looking for the Theo chocolates for a while. They're not readily available around here but I guess I'm not missing much.

Anonymous said...

The Bread & Chocolate really grew on me.

But I think their best "crossover" bar that has wide appeal has to be their Vanilla bar, it's just milk chocolate, but it's really top notch with a strong vanilla component and a creamy dairy note.

(If you ever get their bonbons, the burnt sugar is pretty freakin' good. I was at a party where they had a platter of those, and I think I mananged to make four passes by that table.)