Monday, February 18, 2008

Chocolates On the Edge

The Baroness brought me a Valentine's surprise: two super-fancy boxes of ultra-hip "city" chocolates. The red box is Whitman's Soho Chocolates and the blue box is Russell Stover Urban Modern World chocolates. Oooh lala, so chic!


The contents of the Soho box are:

Pear Praline
Sea Salt Caramel
Madagascar Vanilla Brulee
Pistachio Nougat
Cacao Truffle
Raspberry Ganache


(I haven't tried these yet, so I'll report back.)


In a strikingly similar vein, the Urban Chocolates are:

Pistachio Nougatine (very tasty nougat, although I didn't taste pistachio; seemed more like orange to me)
Espresso Truffle (decent, rich chocolate)
Key Lime (white chocolate with a soft bright green center that tasted like a lime Life Saver)
Sea Salt Soft Caramel (good, but not exceptional)
Grapefruit Ganache (very tasty, similar to a Creamsicle kind of taste)
60% Cacao Dark from Ghana (what can I say? It was dark chocolate)


Funny that I haven't seen this groovy chocolates anywhere, but the Baroness found them in the rural outskirts of von Schokolat territory. I'm sure these were crafted as a way to appeal to a younger clientele, as Russell Stover and Whitman's generally appeals to an older crowd. I wonder how successful they'll be though. It seems like they're marketing to a verrrry small demographic: people who want fancy chocolate but don't want to buy boutique chocolates. Well, they tasted good so perhaps they'll be all the rage with the 20-something hipsters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried the Soho box and found them terrible. Took a bite of each and threw them all out.

Redneck Vixen said...

I just wish that I could find a place that carries the Urban ones. i don't wanna mail order 'em, but I want to try 'em.

Anonymous said...

The urban chocolates taste awful. I don't blame her for getting them, they look nice and have pretty packaging, I was suckered in too.