Thursday, June 14, 2007

A very special Candy Yum Yum!


My in-laws were here a couple of months ago. It was a nice visit, but for not-so-good reasons: they both have cancer, so they were here to go to Sloan Kettering for some check ups. They're both doing well, though, and Judy brought my attention to something that's really helped her. Guess what? It's candy.

She gave me a little hard candy called a "Gin Gin."

Let me just say, I've traditionally stayed away from ginger. Ever since I od'ed on gingerbread when I was five and spent Christmas Eve with a major tummy ache, I've pretty much walked the other way whenever I saw a ginger snap or candied ginger. (Although I do love ginger ale, except Polar brand, which is vile, but I digress.) But I must say, the Gin Gin was pretty darn tasty. It had a nice honey flavor to it and the ginger was strong but not overpowering. Judy said they really help settle her stomach and I would imagine these would be great for morning sickness or sea sickness.

The candies are made by the Ginger People and they also make all sorts of other ginger products. They make a line of ginger chews that are seriously chewy, including a spicy apple that is SPICY. We're talking hot, hot, hot. If you like fireballs and apple pie, this is the candy for you. You can buy their stuff online or at natural food and specialty stores.

No comments: