Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Basset Hounds and Candy: Making the World a Better Place

I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond this morning to take advantage of the "Welcome to Your New Home-- Come Drop Lots of Cash Here!" coupon and in the parking lot I saw a couple standing by their car with the hatchback open and an old hound dog sitting there. Anyone who knows me knows that I go bonkers when I see a basset. None are ever quite as handsome as my beloved P.J. was, but I have a soft spot for all stinky dogs.
I went over and said, "Can I pet your dog?" and the couple said yes. Then the guy offered me a Twizzler. "Chocolate Twizzler?" he asked, holding out the bag. "They're new!" I didn't have the heart to tell them they weren't new, and he seemed to really be enjoying them. "They match your shirt," he said. "They're the 'Beyond' part of the store." They seemed like a really cool couple.
We had a lovely conversation and I got to scratch Vern behind his big floppy ears. Then I was off to the hair-pulling task of finding curtains for the livingroom.

No comments: