Thursday, September 24, 2009

Chocorooms: Possible Contender for This Year's Best Candy Find



Aldi has started appearing in Connecticut. Apparently this chain is more well-known in the Heartland, but until recently, I'd never heard of it. For the official scoop, go here. Now here's my interpretation: it's like Cosco and Trader Joe's got together and had a baby. But, unbeknownst to Trader Joe, Cosco was having an affair with IKEA, so we're not really sure whose baby it is. The stores are small and the products are stacked, like at a warehouse store, but everything comes in normal sizes, so you don't have to buy 300 granola bars at a time. You can get a lot of your groceries there, but not all. Most of the products are under their own label, but are made to look strikingly similar to the name brand.
So let's get to the good stuff. The candy. They had quite a few Hershey options and several Haribo gummies, but they're known for their brand, "Choceur," which is made in Germany. I picked up a bar (a raisin and nut one), but then my attention was diverted to a bag of White Chocolate Almond Clusters (almond and cinnamon biscuit pieces with white chocolate). They also had a milk chocolate version with gingerbread pieces. I had to be selective, because Aldi only accepts cash, which I never carry.
The clusters are little bumpy logs-- more crunchy stuff than chocolate. They're good, but white chocolate isn't my favorite. These were really sweet, but they didn't knock my socks off.
The Chocorooms, however, were a totally different story. These days, the Sugar Baby is obsessed with mushrooms. We've taken many walks in the woods lately, looking for inky caps and puffballs, so the Chocorooms were a no-brainer.The woman at the checkout told me they were "so good!" and that she had bought several boxes because they're not a regular item. I should've followed her lead.
These little cuties are made by Meiji from Japan. According to the package, they are a "chocolaty combination cap and Crispy cracker stem." Okay, so they're "chocolaty," not chocolate. But man, these things are really yummy. A little bite of crispy/sweet/creamy chocolatyness. They are, in fact, very similar to Pocky. I love that the serving size is 11 pieces. You can eat a lot because they're so small. And yes, the Sugar Baby (and his girlfriend, the little Connection) gave them their seal of approval.

13 comments:

Ice Cube Queen said...

Where have you been, Madame YumYum?! Aldi was in CT before we left there 3 years ago!!!! I used to go there quite often.

Those Chocorooms sound yummy. I think we used to get something made of the same stuff that my kids loved, but I forgot the name of it.

Hey, on a side note, how's the weather up there? It's 10:30 P.M., and I'm getting ready to jump in the pool!!!!

Anonymous said...

yumm what can be better than mushroom shaped pocky?!

Rosa said...

OMG thanks so much for the heads up! Went to Aldi, bought two boxes of Chocorooms, and swooned when I tasted them. Also made out with $1.59 Ghirardelli bars and cheap Haribo!

Candy Yum Yum said...

Rosa, I was tempted by those Ghiradelli bars too!
Ice Cube Queen, I've NEVER heard of Aldi before. You were keeping it a secret!

Pam Walter said...

I hope they've travelled out West because I definitely want to try these! http://blog.sweetservices.com/sweetscandyblog/

CandyProfessor said...

What is it about the cookie/chocolate combination? I can't get enough. No Aldi here in NYC (at least that I know), but next time I visit Rhinelander WI I'll stop in (that's the only place I've seen the store so far).

Anonymous said...

ive got your two boxes stored away.. although i dont know how long theyre gonna last since i bought a box for myself and i LOVE them! sia

Anonymous said...

ive got your two boxes stored away.. although i dont know how long theyre gonna last since i bought a box for myself and i LOVE them! sia

Candy Yum Yum said...

don't you eat them, No-Nuts! I'll be looking forward to them.

Anonymous said...

FYI i have finished my box and lucky for you have been so busy i havent started one of yours. I will see how long I can hold off!

Gabrielle McD said...

Avoided the newest Aldi in CT since I hated the one in FL while visiting my mom. Went today - not bad. The chocorooms remind me of something I had long time ago in Germany - getting more tomorrow! You MUST try "Knuspi" - the best combo of wafers, chocolate, hazelnut creme, etc. - 8 separate bars to a package. I'm hooked! Frau Marzipan

Gabrielle McD said...

OH NO! The Chocorooms are all gone! So are the Knuspis (Got the last pack). They said SO MANY people have been asking for the Chocorooms. This is not good.

Candy Yum Yum said...

Oh no! That is bad news! I'm glad I had No-Nuts buy me some extras.