Saturday, June 08, 2013

The aptly-named See's Awesome Walnut Square Bar

This is how I originally started this post:

"It's not often you see candy bars with walnuts in them. In fact, I can only think of two. The British Walnut Whip and ..." (insert long pause here).

I was about to write 5th Avenue. But then I second-guessed myself and looked up 5th Avenue which I haven't had in probably decades. This was a candy bar that regularly appeared in our house, even though it was a dud of a treat. For some reason though, my mother liked these and bought them. I distinctly remember, though, that they were topped with a chocolate-coated walnut half. Yet, when you look at the picture and ingredients of them now, there are no walnuts. Am I imagining this? Am I thinking of another candy bar? It's a mystery! Please chime in if you know what I'm talking about.


In any case, walnuts are rare in the candy world, so I've been intrigued by See's Awesome Walnut Square Bar. When I was offered the opportunity for a sample, I jumped at the chance. The bars come 8 to a box and are individually-wrapped squares. The description on the wrapper says, "Chewy caramel and crunchy walnuts coated in dark chocolate." The chocolate is thick and smooth and the filling is dense and chewy. It's definitely a unique bar. The closest thing I can liken it to is a Goldenberg's Peanut Chew, except that there's more chocolate and the walnuts give it a bitter contrast unlike the peanuts in the Goldenberg's. I loved these little bars. They're a step up from your everyday drug store candy bar, but still down-to-earth and satisfying. In fact, that's what I love about See's candy in general. It's not foofy candy laden with exotic spices. It's good, old-fashioned candy that tastes great and is special. Check them out at www.sees.com.

No comments: