Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Would it be totally wrong to say that a teeny tiny part of the reason why I had a baby is so I could go trick-or-treating? Well, there, I said it. Henri's costume is ordered and I'm ready for my favorite holiday.
The stores are starting to put out the Halloween stuff, although I have to say, it's been disappointing the past few years. As a kid, part of the excitement of Halloween was getting home and dumping out your pillowcase full of goodies and going through it all to see what you scored. Back then, the variety was immense. There were all the different types of bars: Snickers, Milky Way, Three Musketeers, Pay Day, Reese's, Charleston Chews. There were little rolls of Life Savers, tiny boxes of Chicklets, waxy rolls of Necco Wafers. And then the true gems: the full-size candy bars, the little paper bags with pumpkins on them stuffed with assorted candies, popcorn balls, McDonald's gift certificates for a small fry, and--from my grandma-- one of those giant Hershey bars. Now it seems the selection is so limited. Reese's or Snickers. Every year I try to find something at least slightly unusual to give out. What will it be this year? Oh wait... I almost forgot. I won't be home. I'll be out trick or treating!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I love reading your blog! I was looking for your contact information to see if you would like to try a sample of Flippin' Fudge! (www.flippinfudge.com). Let me know if you would.

tim@flippinfudge.com