Monday, December 24, 2007

Solstice Goodies



The Baron wrote last night to say that he agrees that Smarties (the U.K. version of M&Ms, not the U.S. candies) are pretty nasty. He said his Canadian cousins used to wrestle him to the floor and force-feed him Smarties until he sang "O Canada." Well, I made that last part up, but it wouldn't surprise me.


Update on the British candies I bought: last night I thoroughly enjoyed my Walnut Whip. Funny, though; the first thing I did was remove the walnut from the top and chuck it. I like walnuts enough, but not in candy. They're not a good chocolate nut, unlike almonds, which rock. Anyhow, I just love the shape of the Walnut Whip. It's like a beehive, a chocolatey beehive with a creamy vanilla, almost-but-not-quite marshmallowy filling.


The other night, Sue MKAFFGGF and Neil came over for a Solstice Hunters' Celebration. They brought over a very fab cheese plate on a piece of slate and wrote the name of each cheese in chalk. (Hmm. Chalk and cheese.) They also gave me a wonderful Solstice present-- a very delish cherry beer that's served warm, four dark Kit Kats (!) and a big hunk o' sticky toffee cheese! Yes, she was able to procure it! It was very strange, actually. The cheese itself was dry and crumbly, almost like a dry cheesecake. There were raisins in it, and the sticky toffee part was, well, sweet and sticky. I'm going to experiment with it. I'm going to melt some onto a digestive biscuit. I'm thinking that may add to its "cheesecakeiness." The woman at the store suggested melting it on toast. I'm going to try that, too. Mmm, mmm! Also, I should mention that MKAFFGGF brought over some truly lovely goose pate that-- ahem-- she and Neil made themselves. As in, from start to finish. If you know what I mean. That's all I'll say about that except to say that they are truly cool.

We were supposed to crack open a bottle of vintage Port to have with the hunk o' Stilton I bought, but the cherry beer went to my head and I totally forgot about it. I did, however, break out the marshmallow Tea Cakes. I was prepared for a lame version of a Moon Pie, but I was quite happily surprised. The marshmallow was quite fresh and fluffy. Very nice.

We also got Neil to try a piece of the Velveeta fudge. He had something really astute to say about it (because he has fabulous taste buds and an even better food lexicon) but I don't remember what it was. Again, the cherry beer.