Saturday, May 23, 2009

Cadbury Mini Eggs Smackdown: U.K. vs. U.S.


Exhibit A: Cadbury Mini Eggs from the U.K.
Exhibit B: Cadbury Mini Eggs from the U.S.

Bazooka Betsy and her candy-hating other half presented me with two baggies of Cadbury Mini Eggs the other day. They had gotten some genuine, bona fide British eggs from some friends and they were excited for me to taste the difference.
“They really taste different!” said Monsieur Candy Hater, as if I would be surprised by this. Of course they’d taste different. Any chocolate aficionado knows there’s a big difference between chocolate from the U.S. (often not even really chocolate) and chocolate from overseas (often better quality).
I was sure I’d like the U.K. version much better.
Guess what? I was wrong. Pretty shocking, actually.
The American version was milkier and the shell was sweeter, as opposed to the U.K. eggs which weren’t as milky and the shells had a slight sour tang to them.
A note about Cadbury Mini Eggs: people, even those who aren’t necessarily “candy people,” tend to go bonkers over these. Sue MKAFFGGF and the Golden Nose apparently went through several bagfuls throughout March. I think I’m one of the few people who can really take ‘em or leave ‘em. If they’re around, I’ll eat them, but I don’t think I’ve ever bought a bag for myself. What about you? Are you obsessed?

1 comment:

Pam Walter said...

Have never had anything but the traditional Cadbury Creme Egg at Easter, but will need to try these I think. http://blog.sweetservices.com/sweetscandyblog/